The challenge: to create a simple, fruit muffin that could be served nude(!). As much as I love butter on a warm muffin, I understand the need for a muffin's flavor to stand on its own. These do just that.
This breakfast / snack / dessert has a delicious flavor, with a hint of sweetness from the strawberries. Just to be sure, Dan and I tested several, both warm and cool, and they were all consistently good. If you feel inspired, give it a try with other berries, like fresh red raspberries.
Adapted from this recipe.
Ingredients - makes 15-18 cupcake-sized muffins
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 6 Tbsp salted butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 - 1 cup milk
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and chopped into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line cupcake tins with papers.
- In a bowl, mix together sugar and melted butter. Add in eggs, one at a time, and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
- While stirring, add flour mixture to butter / sugar mixture.
- While stirring, slowly pour in milk until batter is wet but not thin.
- Gently mix in chopped strawberries until just incorporated.
- Spoon batter into cupcake papers, each about half full.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 18-20 minutes.
- Let cool on cooling rack for at least 5 minutes.