Polenta can be purchased pre-cooked, usually in a package whose shape resembles a giant pill. Or, you can go the old fashioned route and buy cornmeal, cooking it according to directions that are usually written on the back of the box.
Try out this dinner meal alongside grilled chicken, or as a vegetarian option accompanied with some greens. Ours cooked up crispy on the bottom and smooth inside. You can mix it up by adding parmesan cheese to the polenta before you bake it, or changing the toppings to your liking.
- 2 cups cornmeal
- olive oil
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 bunch fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 1 large shallot, sliced (or can substitute 1 medium red onion)
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cook cornmeal according to package directions. (usually a 1:1 ratio with water)
- Coat glass 8x8 baking dish with olive oil.
- Spoon cornmeal into pan and top with tomatoes, basil, and shallots.
- Drizzle olive oil on top of vegetables and add salt and pepper.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes, or until shallots are tender.