Sunday, July 25, 2010

Peanut Butter and Banana Smoothie

In my last post, I mentioned one of my food goals was to find an easy and delicious smoothie recipe. My thanks goes out to those who commented with recommendations.

The first one I tried was recommended by Marli, a friend of mine who is working in film and production. It is a great way to use up bananas before they go bad.

Ingredients (makes two 12-oz. smoothies)
  • 1 banana (riper is better)
  • 3 big spoonfuls of creamy peanut butter
  • 1 cup milk
  • 3 ice cubes
Directions
  1. Combine ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. Be sure all ice cubes have been chopped.
Comments
I used a banana whose skin was almost completely covered by brown spots, indicating its sweetness. This made it easier to taste the banana flavor in the smoothie, instead of being overpowered by peanut butter.  (Thanks again, Marli, for the recommendation!)

3 comments:

  1. yummm - glad you enjoyed it! My mom used to make a coffee smoothie - soft tofu, coffee, and chocolate syrup. Sometimes she added a banana to make it "healthy," hehe. This in the days before coolatas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had this smoothy - it is delicious! Thanks for reminding me about it, it is always good to have ideas for bananas when they turn to the dark side. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've inspired us yet again. We, too, used up some almost-too-ripe bananas and other bits and pieces from the fridge. Our leftover smoothie combo: ripe banana, last night's strawberries, which had been marinated in orange liqueur, a handful of blueberries, a glob of plain yogurt, a smidgen of leftover half 'n half, skim milk, crushed ice. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete