Thursday, August 5, 2010

Summer Salad with Kentucky Dressing

Sometimes I go to the farmers' market and want to buy everything there! There are many fruits and vegetables that have so much potential. I stopped at both a farm stand and a market yesterday, and one of the many things I ended up with was a pint of locally grown strawberries. They were so tiny and sweet that I wanted to find a way of using them that brought out their flavor, rather than hiding it.

This is a simple salad with an easy homemade dressing. Kentucky dressing is from the Gardeners' Community Cookbook, one of the cookbooks on my wishlist. 

Ingredients

(Salad)
  • leaf lettuce, chopped, or baby spinach
  • fresh berries (strawberries should be sliced into bite-sized pieces)
  • any other vegetables you'd like (I added baby bella mushrooms)
(Dressing)
  • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 1/4 - 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1-2 Tbsp sesame seeds
  • 1 Tbsp poppy seeds
  • dash Worcestershire sauce (optional)
Directions
  1.  Prepare salad as desired.
  2. In a small bowl with spout or liquid measuring cup, measure out vinegar. While whisking, add in olive oil, sugar to taste, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, and Worcestershire sauce if using.
  3. Drizzle desired amount of dressing over salad. Enjoy!

Comments
I've made this dressing several times and it is a little different every time. This time I was a little heavy-handed with the vinegar, creating a more sour dressing. Adding more sugar allows you to control the sweetness. In general, the dressing brings out the strawberries' sweetness. I've also enjoyed this salad with a combination of strawberries and blueberries.

No comments:

Post a Comment