I brought this recipe to a recent 6th grade event where a coworker and I did a workshop on healthy snacks. This is simple for kids to make - most of the ingredients just need to be rinsed. They may need some help chopping the pepper and celery, to get the pieces small enough.
This recipe is versatile because it can be scooped up with tortilla chips, or served as a side dish with your meal.
Thanks to my friend Steph who suggested this recipe! (And yes, this is the Stephanie of Fruit Pizza fame!)
· 15 oz can black eyed peas, rinsed
· 15 oz can black beans, rinsed
· 15 oz can corn, rinsed
· 1 green pepper, diced
· 1 stalk celery, diced
· 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
· 1/4 cup olive oil
· 1 cup sugar
1. Combine main ingredients in a large bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, combine dressing ingredients. Whisk until sugar has dissolved.
3. Pour dressing over main ingredients. Cover and refrigerate. Let sit for at least four hours, but hopefully overnight. Drain well.
4. When ready, serve with tortilla chips or as a side dish.