Sure, you can buy beefsteak or vine ripe tomatoes from the store, but you would be doing a huge disservice to your palate. Talk to the farmers - ask about their favorites. The tomato I bought today was absolutely gorgeous. It was a deep red, bordering on purple, with a crown of green. The farmer told me that it was the perfect time to eat them. He said, "You will never taste a better tomato in your life." In a world of over-exaggerated statements, this one was 100% accurate.
I love the simplicity of this salad, as well as its flexible nature. Feel free to try it with different tomatoes, different vinegars, additions, or even caramelizing the onions to create a sweet / salty combination.
Ingredients (serves 2)
- 1 large heirloom tomato, cut into wedges (room temperature is best)
- sliver of red onion, thinly sliced lengthwise
- drizzle of olive oil
- drizzle of balsamic vinegar
- freshly ground pepper
- Arrange tomatoes on a plate. Sprinkle onion around them.
- Dress with a drizzle each of olive oil and balsamic vinegar.
- Top with freshly ground black pepper.