Friday, February 25, 2011

Traditional Hummus

Hummus is one of my go-to party foods, and has also become a staple for my lunches when I've gotten sick of PB&J's. I make a big batch, then bring some in a container along with crackers or tortilla chips for a lunch I can eat all at once or snack on throughout the day.

Tahini, one of the ingredients, is like peanut butter, but made from sesame seeds rather than peanuts. It's a strange ingredient - and I rarely use my tahini for anything but hummus - but it is truly necessary if you want the creamy consistency for which hummus is well known. You can find it in many grocery stores near the peanut butter.

If my garlic hummus was too strong for your taste, you will undoubtedly enjoy this recipe, which has a much more mellow flavor.



Ingredients
  • one 28 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
  • one 15 oz can chickpeas, mostly drained
  • two drizzles of olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • spoonful tahini (sesame butter)
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • freshly ground black pepper (1-2 tsp, to taste)
  • juice of 1 lemon
Directions
  1. Combine both cans of chickpeas (including the small amount of liquid from the smaller can of chickpeas), olive oil, garlic, tahini, and salt in a food processor. Pulse until smooth.
  2. Add black pepper and half the lemon juice. Pulse to mix well. Taste test and add more lemon juice to your liking.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you!!! Bought my tahini and added it to the hummus. Good addition!

    ReplyDelete