This soup is SO. EASY. Thanks to a basket of vegetables from my friend Gretchen, I was blessed with gorgeous homegrown potatoes and onions. They've been staring me down the entire week, basically begging to be simmered and pureed. Now, I know that root vegetables talking to me makes me weird, but at least the weirdness comes with clear cut inspiration.
The beauty of this soup, like my Creamy Broccoli Cauliflower Soup, is that the creaminess comes from pureeing some of the starchy vegetables, so if you're not into dairy you can omit it completely. I did add a splash of heavy cream at the end, but it was a smooth soup without it. As a small bowl, this would be a great appetizer course, or could also be served as a great vegetarian / vegan main course with a hunk of warm bread.
If you have less time available to cook this, just be sure to cut your potatoes into smaller pieces; the increased surface area will help them cook more quickly.
Ingredients (serves 3-4 main dish or 5-6 appetizer)
for a vegan or dairy-free meal, replace butter with olive oil and omit heavy cream
for gluten-free meal, be sure to use gluten-free vegetable stock
- 1-2 Tbsp butter
- 1 small onion, chopped into small pieces
- 4 small-medium starchy potatoes, such as Russets, washed and chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 3 Tbsp or 3 cubes vegetable bouillon
- splash of heavy cream, garnish (could also use a sprig of parsley or oregano in its place)
- Heat a stockpot over medium heat. Melt butter.
- Add onions and cook 5 minutes or so, until they become translucent.
- Add potatoes and thyme.
- Pour in enough water to cover the potatoes. Stir in vegetable bouillon.
- Turn heat to medium-high. Cook until liquid boils well, then turn heat down to medium-low and cook until potatoes are very soft.
- Remove from heat. Puree using an immersion blender to your desired consistency, or transfer and puree in blender in small batches. Mine still had some small chunks of potato in it.)
- Dish into bowls. Garnish with a splash or swirl of heavy cream, or a sprig of fresh parsley or oregano if desired.