Monday, June 21, 2010

Avocado and White Bean Sandwiches

My secret: I've been baking a loaf of bread every day this week. Out of my new cookbook, Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day, I've made the most beautiful baguettes without having to proof or knead the bread. 

This recipe features two things: great bread and a great avocado. If you don't make your own bread, be sure to buy a fresh loaf the day you plan to make these.

The recipe is inspired by this one from Real Simple.

Ingredients (makes 2 sandwiches)
  • 15 oz. can of white kidney beans, rinsed and mashed
  • drizzle of olive oil (1-2 tsp)
  • 5-6 shakes kosher salt (less if using table salt)
  • 3-4 shakes freshly ground pepper
  • juice of 1/2 lemon (or 1-2 Tbsp lemon juice)
  • small baguette or loaf of artisan bread, sliced for sandwiches
  • mayonnaise (optional)
  • 1/3 cucumber, very thinly sliced 
  • 1/2 Hass avocado, sliced 
  • 1/4 red onion, sliced
Directions
  1. Dump beans into flat bottomed bowl and mash using potato masher or fork. Add olive oil, salt,  pepper, and lemon juice and mix well.
  2. If using, spread mayo onto one piece of baguette/bread. Spoon bean mixture onto other piece of bread and smooth down.
  3. Top with cucumber, avocado, and onion. Add a shake of salt or pepper and enjoy!
Comments
Because of my avocado allergy, I had a much different sandwich. Mine consisted of the bean mixture with cucumber and onion, sans mayo, and I found it quite delicious. However, Dan insisted his tasted better, noting that the red onion flavor came through really well and the cucumber added a nice crunch.  I think white kidney beans were the best for this meal, although it would be interesting to try with white navy beans.

2 comments:

  1. Looks and sounds fabulous. I am inspired, yet again, by your good cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to have to get this cookbook, the bread looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete