Friday, February 5, 2010

Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Sandwiches and some Superbowl snack ideas

I had a special request from Matt over at Farenell Photography for some Superbowl snack ideas. Every Sunday, we spend the evening over at our friends' house, and let me tell you, they are really serious about football games. Not only the game itself, but they always seem to have the perfect snacks for the group who ends up at their house. I hope this recipe makes them proud!

This is a recipe for pulled pork sandwiches using a slow cooker or crockpot, which means two things: it is insanely easy, and it is insanely good. An overuse of the word 'insanely'? Maybe. But in the name of delicious sandwiches, please forgive me.

This recipe is based on one from Savor the Thyme, one of my favorite food blogs!


Rub Ingredients
  • 2 Tbsp brown sugar
  • 2 tsp garlic powder
  • 2 tsp paprika (I used smoked paprika)
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp whole cumin, or a little less if you're using ground cumin
  • 1/4 tsp dry mustard
  • 1 crushed up bouillon cube (any flavor; I used chicken) **
  • 5-6 shakes of salt
  • about 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper

You'll Also Need...
  • a 4-pound boneless cut of pork (I used a shoulder)
  • 1 c. water
  • 6-8 pack of Kaiser rolls **
** For a gluten-free diet, make sure to use gluten-free bouillon cubes, as well as bread made from a gluten-free starch, such as potato bread.

Directions
  1. Mix all rub ingredients together in a bowl.
  2. Rub spice mixture all over pork. Place in slow cooker.
  3. Cook on low for 8 hours.
  4. Shred with a fork if needed.
  5. Serve on rolls with BBQ sauce or another of your favorite topping!

Comments
This was probably the most tender pork I've ever eaten in my entire life. And the easiest to make. Enough said.


Links
If you're looking for appetizers to snack on before or in addition to the pulled pork sandwiches, try some of these beauties:

1 comment: