Most importantly, we only put the protein inside the dough (beans and cheese) and serve other flavors on the side (salsa and sour cream for dipping). This prevents the dough from getting soggy and breaking while it bakes.
You can also use any type of major protein you like - we've replaced the refried beans with smashed black beans and sometimes with leftover seasoned taco meat. Both are very tasty.
- 1 batch of Basic Pizza Dough, which has risen and been punched down
- 1/2 can of refried beans, or another protein of your choice
- about 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- salsa and/or sour cream, to serve on the side
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Use olive oil to grease a cookie sheet.
- Cut pizza dough into 4 equal pieces.
- With each piece, flatten out into a circle and spread a spoonful of refried beans on one half of the circle. Top with shredded cheese.
- Fold over the empty half and seal around the edges to make a half circle or half moon shape.
- If desired, put a pinch of shredded cheese on top of the empanadas.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
- Serve with salsa and/or sour cream.
These can stand alone as a meal - they certainly do for us. If you wanted to make five or six out of the same amount of dough, they could be served along with a vegetable or salad and still allow everyone to feel satisfied.