As long as you get the skillet hot, the egg should stay right inside the bread as it will cook pretty quickly.
You will need a cookie cutter for this escapade - I used a heart shaped one - Hello Valentine's Day breakfast!
This can easily be made gluten-free by using a slice of potato bread, rather than the wheat bread shown in the image.
Ingredients - listed per Egg-in-Frame
- 1 egg
- 1 piece of bread, buttered on both sides **
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat up your skillet or flat top to medium heat.
- While the pan is heating up, butter both sides of the bread. Cut a hole from the middle of the bread, making sure the hole does not connect to the sides of the bread.
- Once the skillet is hot, place bread in pan. Crack egg inside the bread.
- Right before flipping, season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Flip and finish cooking.
This is really simple to make but can be really fun, especially if you have a variety of cookie cutters - imagine angels and stars near Christmas, or cats and ghosts on Halloween. Of course, if you had larger bread, such as the homemade bread carried in lots of bakeries, you could even do two small shapes, like two little hearts. If I were doing two I would probably pre-scramble an egg so it was easier to pour half in each little heart...
This entry was submitted to a contest by Savor the Thyme and The Naptime Chef !