Monday, January 11, 2010

Dill and Sour Cream Rolls


Being Italian, I think that I have a natural inclination toward carbohydrates. Ask my husband, whose family's house we were at for the holiday season. By mid-week I was desperate for pasta, chips, even dry toast. So for an addition to the New Year's Day dinner, I made dill and sour cream rolls. Making bread in general can be a pain if your house is too cold or things aren't the right temperature - in this recipe you'll notice several ingredients are marked a specific temperature (lukewarm, cooled, at room temperature...) - these notes are important, as temperature can affect the outcome of the rolls, how long they will take to rise, and how they will taste when done. I found the recipe for these delicious rolls over at Coconut & Lime - I made a few changes to the ingredients, which are reflected in my version of the recipe below.
Ingredients
  • 1/4 cup lukewarm water
  • 1 package active dry yeast (which measures in at 1/4 oz)
  • 3/4 cup sour cream, at room temperature (I bought the smallest container of sour cream available and let it sit out while preparing other things)
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled
  • 2 Tbsp dillweed (dried dill)
  • 1/2 Tbsp sugar
  • 1/2 Tbsp salt
  • 3 1/4 cups flour (I used unbleached bread flour)
  • 2 eggs (1 for dough, 1 for brushing)
  • butter for greasing the pan
Directions
  1. Place water in the largest mixing bowl you have. Sprinkle the yeast in, mix, and let stand for 5-10 minutes.
  2. Add sour cream, melted butter, dillweed, sugar, and salt. Mix well.
  3. Add flour, about 1 cup at a time, mixing well as you go. (C&L recommends adding a splash of milk if the dough is too dry.) As you need to, transfer dough to table and continue kneading until all flour is incorporated and dough is barely sticky.
  4. Grease the bowl with butter and return dough to bowl. Cover with plastic wrap or a clean dish towel and put bowl in a warm, dry spot to rise until dough doubles in size. (My dough took about 1.5 hours)
  5. Grease a 13x9 pan with butter.
  6. Divide the dough into 12 equal pieces and roll each piece into a ball. Place each roll in the pan, cover with plastic wrap or a clean dish towel and allow rolls to double in size. (This took my dough another hour or so)
  7. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  8. Beat the other egg and brush it over each roll.
  9. Bake rolls for 15-20 minutes, turning the pan 180 degrees in the oven after about 10 minutes.
Comments
Warm out of the oven, these rolls were delicious. However, it wasn't until we were eating the precious leftovers later as a snack that we were able to taste the flavors, specifically the dill. The true test of a good roll, according to my brothers, is if you are able to enjoy the roll free of any dressings, including butter or jam. These passed the test.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, you are so smart and talented. If you aren't the most exciting thing to hit the food world since cooking with booze, I don't know who is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so good! I happen to have both dill and sour cream in my house at this very moment. (haha you know about the dill i guess...) now, all I need is the time to make them! Wouldn't homemade rolls be a good addition to a 4th of July cookout?? Thanks so much for sending me to this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks ladies! I am glad you enjoy. Feel free to post a link to a photo of your rolls!

    ReplyDelete