Monday, June 6, 2011

Mixed Summer Vegetables with Feta

I love shopping for vegetables in the summer. I go to the farm stand and buy whatever is beautiful. This week, the beets and I fell in love.

I know what you're thinking: beets are gross. My question to you: on what beets are you basing your judgment? Those slimy canned discs are NOT beets - they're aliens! Grab some fresh ones from your local farmers' market, boil them, and enjoy their delicious sweet flavor.



  • 4 small/medium beets, washed and greens removed
  • 1 yellow squash, halved lengthwise and sliced (into half-moon shape)
  • olive oil
  • red or white wine vinegar
  • salt
  • freshly ground pepper
  • 2 vine ripe tomatoes, cut into small wedges
  • 3-4 oz. feta cheese, crumbled or broken into small pieces
  1. Place beets in small pot of water and bring to a boil. Cook until tender.
  2. While beets are cooking, heat up grill or flat top griddle to medium heat.
  3. Spear squash slices onto kabobs.
  4. Place kabobs on grill. Drizzle with both olive oil and vinegar. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
  5. Cook 8-10 minutes on each side, until charred.
  6. Place squash in serving bowl to cool.
  7. When beets are done, slice in half horizontally, then into small chunks. Let cool, then add to serving bowl.
  8. Add tomatoes and feta.
  9. Toss gently and serve at room temperature.

3 comments:

  1. I was one of those people who hated beets - my mom always served us the canned ones - until about 3 years ago, when someone served me homemade beet and feta cheese pizza. Bam. I was sold, and now I eat beets like it's my job. This looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Katie! I never liked them either until my friend made a salad with greens, beets, goat cheese, etc... and I fell in love.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree - fresh beets are awesome. I love them cooked with just a hint of butter, vinegar, and a little salt and pepper. In salads, too. Yours looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete