Thursday, March 25, 2010

Roasted Vegetable English Muffin Pizzas


I know what you are thinking: is she serious? Is it possible to combine English muffins, symbol of Western imperialism, with the class and elegance of roasted eggplant and garlic? Yes, I am serious, yes it is possible, and yes, it is delicious and amazing. I had planned on making an amazing vegetarian dish from the new cookbook given to me by my friend. However, all I wanted after trudging home through the rain was some comfort food. So we improvised by combining the eggplant I desired with the English muffins that were on sale at the local grocery store.

Trust me on slicing those vegetables thinly - it is not only to help keep them atop your pizzas, but it also minimizes their roasting time in the oven.

Ingredients (enough to do up one 6-pack of muffins)
  • 1 eggplant, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
  • 1 red onion, halved and thinly sliced
  • 1 red pepper, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
  • 5-8 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
  • olive oil
  • salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 1 package English muffins, split
  • 1 jar pizza sauce
  • package of shredded mozzarella cheese
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
  2. Combine eggplant, onion, pepper, and garlic in a 9x9 roasting pan. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
  3. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until eggplants are fully cooked.
  4. While vegetables are baking, place muffin halves on cookie sheet(s). Spread a dollop of pizza sauce on each one and some mozzarella; set aside.
  5. Remove vegetables from oven, leaving temperature at 425.
  6. Top each pizza with a spoonful or two of vegetable mixture.
  7. Bake pizzas for 12-15 minutes until cheese has browned.
Comments
This was a filling meal although they were so flavorful I probably could have eaten a lot more if I put my mind to it. :) The salt and pepper adds a nice touch to the eggplant, which often can taste too plain if left unseasoned. Roasting the garlic also worked quite well as it mellowed the sharp taste that garlic has in its raw state; I enjoyed several cloves of roasted garlic on top of my pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment